Cheese & Onion Tart
Cooks in 75 mins
- 25g butter
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 375g pack ready rolled short crust pastry
- 330ml crème fraiche
- 3 medium eggs
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 150g Cathedral City Mature Cheddar, grated
You will also need:
Tart cases Baking parchment Baking beans
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add all the onions and season, then cover and cook gently for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are very soft and starting to caramelise. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.
- Unroll the pastry then roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line 4-6 small tart cases. Line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes then lift out the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Place the crème fraîche, eggs and nutmeg in a large bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper and whisk together.
- Stir in the caramelised onions and half the Cathedral City cheese, and pour the mixture into the pastry case. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the surface is golden and the filling set, serve warm with a tomato salad.
*Recipe and some of the recipe photography by Cathedral City Mature Cheddar, *
*No Payment was received*