Golden Cornbread with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Bacon
Cornbread is very easy to make – and it tastes SO good! Here it’s served with mashed avocado and crispy bacon, with an extra drizzle of golden syrup.
Preparation 20 mins
Cooking 20-25 mins
- 120g fine polenta
- 125g plain flour
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 115g butter
- 60g Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 large egg
- 100g natural yogurt
- 140ml milk
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- Lyle’s Golden Syrup, for drizzling
How to make this recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Mix together the polenta, flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave, without letting it get too hot. Tip it into a bowl and stir in the sugar and syrup. Add the egg, yogurt and milk and beat well. Stir into the polenta mixture until combined, though avoid over-beating.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden, with slightly crispy edges. Use a fine skewer to check that it is cooked through. Cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
- For the topping, grill the rashers of streaky bacon until crisp. Meanwhile, mash the avocados. Serve the cornbread with mashed avocado and streaky bacon, drizzled with a little Lyle’s Golden Syrup.
Cook’s tip: Cornbread freezes well, so why not freeze half for another day? Thaw, then warm through in a low oven for a few minutes before serving.