Fancy trying out these; Popcorn Brains With Maggots? Try gorgeously gruesome sticky ginger cakes with popcorn topping - squirming with icing maggots!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 100g butter
- 110g light muscovado sugar
- 60g Lyle’s Black Treacle
- 60g Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 175g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g cream cheese
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 2-3 drops green food colouring
- 100g sweet popcorn
- 30g white fondant icing
- 2-3 drops yellow food colouring
- Lyle’s Strawberry Squeezy Syrup, for drizzling
How to make this recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Put 12 cup cake cases into a muffin tin.
- Put the butter, sugar, black treacle and golden syrup into a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Don’t allow the mixture to get too hot. Cool slightly.
- Sift the flour, salt and ginger into a mixing bowl. Add the melted mixture and beaten egg, stirring them in thoroughly.
- Heat the milk until lukewarm, then add the bicarbonate of soda. Stir them into in the mixing bowl. Transfer to a jug and pour into the cake cases. Bake for 22-25 minutes until risen and firm. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, mix the cream cheese and icing sugar with 2-3 drops of green food colouring. Spread onto the cakes and top with popcorn arranged to resemble brains.
- Colour the fondant icing with 2-3 drops of yellow food colouring, then roll tiny pieces into shapes to look like maggots. Arrange on the cakes and serve, drizzled with Lyle’s Strawberry Squeezy Syrup.
Cook’s tip: Make 20 smaller fairy-cake buns if you prefer, baking them for 20 minutes.