Santa loves mince pies, doesn't he!?
Fancy making your own California Raisin Mincemeat?
Just in time for Christmas 🎅
Makes 4 x 1 litre preserving jars
- 1kg Bramley apples
- 4 oranges
- 4 lemons
- 400g suet
- 950g California Raisins
- 650g currants
- 700g Muscovado brown sugar
- 400g Italian chopped mixed peel
- 3 level tablespoons mixed spice
- 1 level dessert spoon of ground cinnamon
- 200ml of dark rum, calvados or brandy
- Core the apples (leave the skin on) and finely chop. Grate the zest of the oranges and lemons and set aside. Extract the juice from the oranges and lemons and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until evenly distributed. Add the fruit juice and alcohol, combine well.
- Sterilise the preserving jars and fill the jars with the mincemeat. Cover with a wax disc and seal. Store in a cool dark place, will keep for 12 months.