Carrot cake ingredients:
- 285g butter, softened
- 285g light brown soft sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 175g self raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 120g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250g young carrots, peeled and sliced finely
Lemon and mascarpone topping ingredients:
- 115g mascarpone cheese
- 225g soft cream cheese
- 85g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- For the cake, finely slice the carrots and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale, then gradually add in the egg yolks, orange juice and zest.
- Gently mix in the sifted flour, baking powder, ground almonds and cinnamon to this mixture, then fold in the carrots.
- Whisk the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff, then fold them into the egg and flour mix. Pour into a mould and cook for about 50-55 minutes until golden and risen.
- Allow mixture to cool in the mould for 10 minutes then turn out and leave to cool for at least 1 hour.
- When your cake is cool, make the icing by mixing all the ingredients together, then spread over the top of the cake.
Recipe c/o by Braun Household.