On of my favourite Winter warmer dinners has to be Shepard pie. Today I'm sharing a recipe with added cauliflower.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 4 tbsps of olive oil
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 diced onion
- 4 diced garlic cloves
- 2 diced celery sticks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 600g beef mince
- 2 ½ tbsps of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of chopped thyme leaves
- 80ml of dry red wine
- 375ml of stock of your choice
- 3 tbsps of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a fresh, seasonal salad of your choice.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower in a colander and set aside. Next, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the cumin, onions, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for five minutes, or until they soften and begin to brown.
- Add the mince and cook until brown. Add the tomato paste and thyme and cook for one minute, then pour in the wine and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Meanwhile, place the cooked cauliflower in the food processor and blend until smooth. Blend two tablespoons of olive oil along with the puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, spread the meat mixture into the base of an ovenproof dish. Top with the cauliflower puree and smooth the top over the meat mixture evenly. Bake the pie in the oven for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a fresh, seasonal salad of your choice.
*Recipe and recipe photography by Atkins*
*No Payment was received*