Davidstow® 18 Month Extra Mature cheddar, Kale, Red Onion, Pumpkin & Quinoa Winter Salad.
Sometimes it’s hard to find a salad for those colder winter months, but this recipe really hits the spot. Warming seasonal vegetables combined with a strong cheddar cheese is a match made in heaven, and the sweet dressing is incredibly simple to make but lifts the dish and warms the soul.
- 1 red onion, cut into quarters
- 2 red chillies
- 2 parsnips, peeled then cut into 4 pieces lengthways, remove the core
- 100g curly kale (2/3 blanched, 1/3 friend – for texture)
- 20g pumpkin seeds (roasted)
- Pinch of linseeds
- 40g cooked quinoa black and white
- 20g honey
- 15g tarragon vinegar
- 30g virgin olive oil
- Shaved Davidstow® 18 Month Extra Mature
1. Preheat a deep fat fryer to 150°C.
2. Roasted vegetables: Wrap the red onions, chillis and parsnips all separately in tin foil parcels with a drizzle of olive oil, few sprigs of rosemary and salt.
3. Place these onto a roasting tray and bake until soft. Be careful when unwrapping the tin foil parcels, as you wouldn’t want to burn yourself.
4. Quinoa: Cook the white and black quinoa in separate saucepans of simmering salted water, until just cooked. Drain well and mix with a drizzle of olive oil.
5. Curly kale: Wash the kale very well and drain. Then fry 1/3 of the kale in a hot frying pan with a drizzle of vegetable oil until crispy. Drain well on kitchen paper and season with fine salt. Take the other 2/3 of the kale and cook in boiling salted water for 2 minutes until tender. Drain well.
6. Dressing: Mix the honey and tarragon vinegar together in a bowl and slowly whisk in the virgin olive oil.
7. Now mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and black pepper. This is best served warm.
Recipe c/o Created by Lee Westcott for Davidstow®