Recipe by Fiona Hunter
For the topping:
- 400g Nature’s Finest Pears in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 50g baking margarine or butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 100g baking margarine or butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g crystallised ginger, finely chopped (optional)
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. To make the topping beat the sugar and butter together until creamy. Spread the mixture over the base of a 20cm round cake tin. Arrange the pears over the mixture
2. To make the sponge, sieve the flour, baking powder and ground ginger into a large bowl. Add the butter, sugar, eggs and crystallised ginger if using plus 2 tbsp of reserved juice and beat with an electric hand whisk until everything is combined and the mixture has a smooth soft consistency.
3. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 35 mins.
4. Leave to stand for 5 mins then carefully turn out onto a plate serve with custard.