Fancy making some Salted Caramel Hot Cross Buns?
These sweet use Shaken Udder Salted Caramel Milkshake instead of milk to create a sweet and luxurious take on an Easter classic!
Prepare: 1 ½ hours
Cook: 12 minutes
- 500g pack white bread mix
- 50g butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 200ml Shaken Udder Salted Caramel Milkshake
- 100ml water
- 100ml milk
- 1 large egg
For the crosses & decoration:
- 3 tbsps plain flour
- 2 tbsps water
- Golden syrup, melted, for brushing
1. Tip the bread mix into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Rub in the butter with your fingertips, then add the chocolate chips.
2. In a measuring jug, pour in the milkshake and water, then beat in the egg and transfer onto the dried ingredients. Mix to a very moist dough (the wetter the better).
3. Leave for 5 minutes then cut into 10 equal pieces and roughly shape into buns with oiled hands (this helps to stop the mixture sticking too much – try not to use extra flour as it will toughen the dough).
4. Space the buns apart on 2 greased baking sheets and cover loosely with cling film. Leave the buns in a warm room until they've risen to about half the size again (this will take anything from 45 minutes to 1¼ hours, depending on how warm and moist the environment is).
5. When the buns are risen, heat the oven to 220ºC/fan 200ºC/Gas Mark 7 and make the crosses. Mix the flour with the water to make a paste. Pour into a plastic food bag and make a tiny nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on each bun. 6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Brush with golden syrup. The buns will keep fresh for a day, and after that are best toasted.
Cook's Tip: Using a pre-prepared white bread mix cuts down on the time factor, but still produces delicious.