Onion & couscous soup
Preparation time:10 minutes
Cooking time:1 hours
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 1kg pack onions, finely sliced
- ¼–½ tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1–2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1.5 litres boiling vegetable stock
- 25g couscous
- Grated cheddar, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and ground spices, cover and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes until browned. Stir in the chilli and cinnamon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil then simmer, still covered, for 20 minutes. Add the couscous and cook for 10 minutes more.
3. Remove the cinnamon and season to taste. Serve with grated cheese, if you wish.