Smoothies are a great way to start the day. This summery version is a complete breakfast in a glass. Not only are oats and nuts blended in the smoothie but it is topped with the delicious crunchy oats too. Full of slow release carbohydrates and protein, this is a fantastic option when you are short of time and will help keep you feeling energised and focused through the morning.
Strawberries are packed with vitamin C and also rich in fibre to help balance blood sugar levels and support digestive health. The oats and strawberries are rich in B vitamins essential for energy and supporting the body during times of stress while the milk provides plenty of protein to keep blood sugar levels stable and a feeling of fullness.
You can also use the oat topping as the basis of a crunchy muesli – simply add some dried fruit and store in an airtight container. This would also make an ideal pre and post exercise shake too.
Suitable for vegetarians, Gluten and wheat free, Dairy Free (use milk alternative)
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
Storage: Store the oat topping in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. Smoothies are best drunk once prepared but will keep it in the fridge for 4-5 hours.
- 60g / 2oz Nairn’s gluten free porridge oats
- 1tbsp desiccated coconut
- 30g / 1oz macadamia nuts, chopped
- 15g / ½ oz cashew nuts, chopped
- 15g / ½ oz pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g / 12 oz fresh or frozen strawberries
- Juice of 2 limes
- 500ml / 17floz / 2 cups milk or milk alternative
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan and toast the oats for 2-3 minutes until golden. Add the nuts and seeds and toast for a further minute.
2. Pour into a bowl and add the flaxseed and cinnamon.
3. Place the strawberries in a blender with the lime juice and milk. Blend until smooth. Add 6tbsp of the oat mixture and blend again until smooth. Pour into glasses and top with a spoonful of the oat mixture.
4. Best served with a spoon.
Carbohydrates: 23.7g of which sugars 12.4g
Total Fat: 18.2g of which saturates 5.2g