Piccalilli Glazed Ham Joint anyone?
Fancy giving a traditional roast meat meal a piccalilli twist? Perfect for large family meals.
Ready in 4 hours
How to make:
Ready in 4 hours
You will need:
- 3kg boneless gammon joint
- 1 onion, halved
- 4 cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 litres apple juice
- 100g sugar
- 400g jar Haywards Medium & Tangy Piccalilli
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g dried cranberries
- Ground pink and black peppercorns
- Place the gammon in a very large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and drain. Rinse both the gammon and the saucepan and return the gammon to the saucepan.
- Add the onion, cloves, whole peppercorns and cinnamon stick, then fill with the apple juice. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 2 hours, topping up with water when the liquid comes below the gammon.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/140C fan/gas 3 and drain the gammon. Line a baking tray with tin foil and place the joint, fat-side up on it. Remove the skin with a sharp knife, leaving the layer of fat. Cover with the foil and bake for 30 mins.
- In a frying pan, dry fry the sugar and stir until it starts to turn into a liquid then add the piccalilli and cranberries and 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid from the gammon. Stir thoroughly and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the breadcrumbs and season with the pink and black pepper.
- Unfold the tin foil from the gammon and cover the fat with the piccalilli mixture. Bake for 35 mins. Cool at room temperature then chill or serve hot, after covering with tin foil and resting for 15 mins. Serve.
Recipe and image courtesy of Haywards.
What do you think?
Fancy making this?
Let me know in the comments below if you get to make it.